Know Your Coverage When It Comes to Mobile Home and RV Insurance

WKnow Your Coverage When It Comes to Mobile Home and RV Insurancehether you own, lease, or rent a recreational vehicle (RV), it may be smart to hitch on some RV insurance. Some people believe their own auto insurance policy covers their RV, but this is not the case. Motor Home and RV insurances are specialized terms and coverage options that resemble a combination of car insurance, home or renter’s insurance, and travel insurance all rolled into one.

What are the Different Types of RVs?

RVs include all motor homes, fifth wheels, travel trailers, and pop-up campers. Your insurance will depend on the class of the RV you own/will own. The class of RV depends on factors like how much it is being used, cargo space, size, and if you live in it full time. Listed below are the types of classes:

  1. Class A: This class includes the largest and luxurious of all RVs. They offer all the amenities of a stationary home. Can be up to 75 Feet long.
  2. Class B: The Smallest class of recreational vehicles. Look like a van, but are able to offer a home on wheels for two to four people. These do not have a sleeping bunk over the vehicle’s cab.
  3. Class C: Similar features of class A, but in a smaller package. This includes the sleeping bunk over the vehicle’s cab.
  4. Fifth Wheels: Covered under C class. Offer all accommodations of a motorhome with a separate, detachable tow vehicle. Connects to the bed of a truck using a jaw hitch.
  5. Travel Trailers: Can accommodate as many people and offer the same luxuries as a motorhome. Attaches to the bumper of the towing vehicle with a ball-and-coupler hitch.
  6. Pop-up: Small, compact, lightweight and usually measuring four feet. Towed by trucks, SUVs, and even cars.

What Does RV Insurance Cover?

RV Insurance covers many of the similar risks that auto insurance does, like collision, comprehensive, and liability coverage. The main difference in coverage comes between motor homes and campers. Any vehicle driven on the road is required to be insured. Campers are towed behind a vehicle and not driven, according to state law RV insurance is optional. It is strongly recommended to buy coverage for a new camper so you do not lose your investment. Below are the differences between standard motor home coverage and standard camper coverage.

Standard Motor Home Coverage

  • Limited Property Damage
  • Comprehensive
  • Collision
  • Personal Injury Protection
  • Property Protection
  • Uninsured Motorist
  • Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability

Standard Camper Coverage

  • Comprehensive
  • Collision

What is also offered on both motor homes and campers are additional specialized coverage options. Where you may not think you need coverage prior to a claim, this comes in handy at the time of a loss. Your personal belongings, custom RV equipment, and in the event your RV becomes disabled will be covered with these additional types of insurance.

  • Attached Accessories: Awnings and Satellite Dishes
  • Personal Property Coverage
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Guaranteed Loss Replacement
  • Vacation Liability Coverage
  • Agreed Value Coverage
  • Emergency Expense Coverage
  • Purchase Price Protection

Like auto insurance, RV insurance is required in every state. All states require a minimum amount of liability insurance.

RVs are a popular form of vacationing for many families that need a breath of fresh air from city and suburban life. Before you get behind the wheel, make sure you’ve got enough protection to keep everyone safe and worry free from potential loss. At TJ Woods, we are dedicated to providing you the right coverage and quote at the right price. To learn more about RV insurance, read Insuring Your Home On The Road and contact us today!